View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #205
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Brawling with a friend

Justin,

I will have to go back and refresh my memory on correct statistics terminology, but I don't think you are correct in your model.

assumption you make is that most dojo's are in the center. You need to explain your criteria a little more as I do not agree. Frankly I am struggling to see the correalation...I suspect that it is false, but I will need to think about it more.

MMA/UFC sport fighitng is definitely closer to reality than the "normal" dojo. In the normal dojo you are practicing budo, or kata, or a number of things that do not approimate even closely the stress, variables, and reality of a real fight.

Also, you have made some assumptions about street fighting and what that means, without defining the term. In my mind, street fighting is a broad topic and one in which no amount of "empty hand" martial training or weapons training may successfully prepare you for.

I don't think there is a neat correalation that can be made between contact level and degree of reality, as there are many other variables such as element of suprise, weapon disparity, condition of the people, number of people etc that come into play.