View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Hips, 3000 Techniques & 16 Variations

While it is my message that has brought this intuition to you, I would have to admit at first reading I hardly understand your message. So I would not respond to your main topic (is it supposed to be logical categorization of techniques or counting of all possible technical combinations ?)., instead I will only comment on the few things I think I do know:

* Korindo Aikido tai-Sabaki is composed of 8 circular movements, each could be done in any direction and with some variations. We do not refer to these movement as Kata, since they are supposed to be more free practice then rigid pre-designed form.

The Tai-sabaki movement is not necessarily used in first contact, it also has a very important place while performing the technique, and in Korindo one could try and explain the movement in many techniques relating parts of the techniques to parts of different Tai-Sabaki. Just for example, the first Tai-Sabki is a turn backwards without stepping, involving mostly the body center and hip movement as the core of the movement. This 180 degree turn (our name for it) has usage in central variations of lots of techniques, from shiho-nage, through Ikkyo, Sankyo and lots of others. The examples I wrote all find the 180 as a very efficient mid technique solution to allow "internal" power generation from the body, without changing the position, thus making the technique stronger and more efficient.

Quote:
I have assumed (feel free to prove me wrong) that the eight positions are likely distillates of O-Sensei's "16 variations" on the basic techniques
* Korindo Tai Sabaki is said to have been developed by Minoro Hirai, long before he met Ueshiba (Korindo Tai Sabaki started sometime around 1920,

and Hirai and Ueshiba only met around 1938). I do not know anything about the "16 variation" of Ueshiba you wrote about, for all I know they could have been influenced by Ueshiba seeing Hirai and getting his own inspiration, as these two people did contact each other for a while. But I would deem this unlikely.

Quote:
I know that Korindo has some eight basic structured kata dealing with fundamental hip positions.
* Tai Sabaki is a way of movement, that teaches one to move from his hips in a stable and harmonically way. It is not a hip position as the hips rotate continuously during these exercises.

* As far as Korindo Aikido in the US - a minor clarification. I have read good impressions about John Goss and read the interview with him in Aikido-Journal. I would like to clarify that he learned Korindo outside the regular organization, and, to the best of my understanding, was never part of the Korinkai.
Just as a minor example, I read he places great import on the Hami-Bo. While this weapon does exist in the Korindo curriculum, it is not central in it. At least as far as the Korindo Shihans I met so far.

Since I have not understood your message and topic, I can only hope my message contributes to this thread, rather then being totally OT.

Amir