View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #15
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: intuition vs. speed

Quote:
When you train, it is no time to be "lazy" or to have a desire to use "minimum effort" at ANY speed.
I was often told many inventions were the result of laziness. One wishes to use the least possible amount of force, in minimal time, and get the best result. It is not laziness of the mind we seek, but rather the tendency of the body to do act in a minimal manner and still achieve the goals we seek.
One should not confuse this with laziness in the general sense nor with being un-martial. Quite the contrary, this is a wish to be most efficient.

If one can generate more then sufficient force with less steps, this would mean shorter action time, and it is always preferable (martially speaking). Of course, if you base the force on your arm muscles, you are likely to find it will not suffice against stronger\larger people. And it would require you to be hard, thus not soft, not receptive to the hints that allow the premature intuition and not harmonious. Therefore, the movement in Korindo is not based on arms strength. The movement in Korindo is based upon proper body movement that can provide the same effects and even better ones from your body, without additional steps. Our center can move somewhat even without our feet, at high levels in Korindo Aikido, this movement is all that is necessary for generation of power and for changing Mae and staying outside the attack, with very easily attainable Kuzushi. This type of smaller circle movements based action enables faster action time, with similar results.

Obviously, this requires a lot of practice. As I have written previously. This type movement is being taught in Korindo Aikido from day one. We practice it via 8 specific movement types known as the Korindo Tai-Sabaki. This practice is one of the pillars of Korindo Aikido training, and is done in almost every practice.

And as far as intuition, I would like to repeat the previous suggestion - practice, and then, practice a little more. Examine dynamic situations (Uke attacks you with a movement, even if he only wishes to grab you), And Uke should not act as a robot, and should vary the attack tempo all the time.

Amir