View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #332
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I don't think there should be any hard and fast rule...different strokes and all that. I will say that if I want to learn something, and someone is willing to teach me, I may not change my own views about things, but I will be quiet and learn. Whining about learning a few words from another language just seems like ... whining to me. If you don't like it so much...don't do it. If you want something badly enough...stop whining and do it. Simple.

I do know that when I trained in France it was nice to know what waza we were working on before hand. Even though the terminology is different between Iwama and Yoshinkan, I had no problems following right along. It's one of the reasons I thanked my own instructor for preparing me so well. I didn't have to speak French, or have someone translate for me.

Sensei: Katatetori shihonage.
Ron: Hai.
No problems.

Best,
Ron (I really should learn to speak French though...)
The internet is for whining and discussing. Obviously I dont whine that i have to learn japanese in class. Instead I simply either a) dont do it, or b) do it.

What I do and how I feel about it are two different things. Yes, I could see how a learning japaneese would help allow multiple cultures to commincate while training. This is a good reason. I like it. I wish my judo teacher would of used it instead of "Because its part of the culture" when I asked. Of course luckly for me, I speak poor french :-)

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein