View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #330
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
...and chop suey is called "stir fried cabbage, carrots and bean sprout in soy sauce". My my, we will need very big menus ...

Boon.
Just last night I ordered the Streak medium rare, shrimp, and sausage with a loaded baked spud, veggies, and apples from my favor te place to eat. Talk about complicated menus.

I'm not saying its wrong to use Japanese or incorporate new words. When I order Chinese I order things like broccoli beef, general Tao's chicken, etc. When I order Japanese I order sushi. Why? Because its a term I heard enough that it is the only way I know how to say it.

I find English to be easier to explain. I don't have to stop and think, now which way is tenkan again? When i talk to a noobie I don't say, ok, get kuzushi, enter irimi and perform the O goshi. I will tell them, grab him, pull him to break his balance, turn into him until your but is halfway past his thigh (or sometimes the more crude, pretend his leg is a hot dog and your butt is a hot dog bun) then perform the hip throw. In fact irimi, tenkan, and the combination of the two are words I could really do without ever hearing again. Kuzushi is another word I could do without. They slow down the learning process because they are not consistent in their meaning. Its like telling someone, you need to use more ki. It doesn't tell them anything. Should they relax more? Extend more? Are they not leaving the hand and moving the body? Are they trying to use too much strength? What is the real problem?

I had a judo teacher reply to my questions on why I couldn't use a throw well in sparing with "Your not getting the proper kuzushi". Wow, that helps a lot. Now had he said, you need to turn his weight onto his front foot by turning him like a steering wheel I wouldn't of struggled with it and could of got to practicing this movement a lot faster.

I do agree that some techniques should be named. There are some aikido techniques I can not think of a good English name for. However, at the same time I see other aikido schools call these techniques by different names. Or they use different movements for the same name. Thats just as confusing if not more so when trying to describe to someone what you are about too do.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein