View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 AM   #81
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Brawling with a friend

Michael, it seems you are of the opinion that changing the training method will change the entire system. I do not feel this is correct. In fact I'm not even advocating a complete change of the training method. I am advocating adding a new dimension to the existing aikido training method.

It seems you believe that sparing = competition. Sparing is not competition. I have never lost a sparing match, ever. I am however forced to tap out at least a half dozen times a class. I am not advocating adding competition to aikido (although it already exists). I am just advocating exploring new training methods in an attempt to teach aikido more consistantly. If you use the I-method over kata it will not have any effect on the philosophy you teach. You can still preach whatever it is you want to preach. The difference will be the more consistant level of physical skill you will find though your class. People will learn to intergrate new techniques faster and build their own aikido. They will learn to innovate and try new things faster. Its just the nature of the I-method.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein