View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #74
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Saito Sensei & the no-hands throw

Quote:
"Sometimes you have to eat a kick to get inside".
I agree this is a very common, and effective strategy. I had a friend who did Muay Thai and that was the kind of thing he was very committed to. It's certainly true that people who take this appraoch and condition for it, are not so easy to take down with one or two tough hits. Someone like me who hasn't been hit hard in quite some time wil probably be affected more by any given strike, than someone who gets hit regularly. I'm pretty sure the nervous system adapts to this sort of thing, which is why some people can be described as having a glass jaw.

Quote:
4) tkd guy had his hands up and chin tucked, absorbs the blow and attacks again.
I think this is why many people discount Aikido. Unless the strike penetrates enough to effectively take away the attackers balance, the attacker will keep attacking. There's also the "hinge" effect where penetrating off-center will just spin the attacker, which can actually help get one hit.

Quote:
A little more on subject with no touch throws. A lot of these seem to depend on the fact that uke does not track his target.
To me it seems like these are cases where uke tracks very specifically...with tunnel vision. They are so fixated on one particular point of attack that they adjust their entire body (compromising it's balance) for the sake of connecting to that one point.

Quote:
He throws a punch, but he doesn't try to track his target in a lot of cases. This leads to him punching where the guy was and losing some balance.
I see what you mean regarding punches but simply punching where someone was shouldn't cause someone to lose their balance...even in no-touch throws...I think. When uke doesn't track the moving target, but fixates on where the target was,. to me this reminds me more of problematic "touch" throws. In the no-touch throws, from what little I can tell, it appears as though uke always moves in accordance with the movement of nage. He throws himself because he's tracking the imagine point of contact in his own body, with that of the connecting part in nage.

Quote:
As it was posted above I agree with the assertion that no touch throws work best on other aikidoka. Its mostly a mental game.
I agree. I think of no-touch throws as an abstract exercise in responsiveness. I've never seen them in person, though I have experienced "no-touch pressure" which taught me a bit about ma'ai and perceiving an opening. It's quite possible, for all I really know, that it was more a conditioned response than anything else, but it seems to have had at least some tangible results in how I take ukemi. It seems to have made me, generally speaking, more responsive and open minded in how to move my body spontaneously. I'm still have pronounced problems with taking someone's balance though, and that's the part which is supposed to allow me to protect myself the most.

Quote:
Its a fault of people who let themselves believe too much and question too little.
Well said. Question everything.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!