View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 08:04 AM   #69
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Saito Sensei & the no-hands throw

Reading this thread reminds me of my first MMA class. I was working on passing the open guard from standing. I had my partner on his back and he was up-kicking and attacking my knee's, feet, face, etc. I was having a lot of trouble, I couldn't get in on him before he could stand back up. I got my coach over and I asked what I was doing wrong. This is what he told me:

"Sometimes you have to eat a kick to get inside".

This changed the way I trained and fight. I realized that I had been so focused on reacting to his attacks and avoiding contact that I had forgot this was a fight. Now when I hear these marital chess games of "He has to take ukemi or take a crushing blow" I realize that most people don't realize taking the crushing blow might not hurt that bad and might let you hurt your opponent. I read above of an example of a TKD guy attacking an aikido guy.

The aikido version was like this

1) tkd guy throws kick
2) aikido guy steps inside and throws punch
3) tkd guy either takes a fall or takes a punch that ends the fight.

Why isn't there a forth option.

4) tkd guy had his hands up and chin tucked, absorbs the blow and attacks again.

If I want to hit you, I'll take your hit. Why? Because I get punched in the face hard at least 4 times a week. Its not a big deal to me anymore. So unless you hit really really hard, I'm still going to keep hitting you.

A little more on subject with no touch throws. A lot of these seem to depend on the fact that uke does not track his target. He throws a punch, but he doesn't try to track his target in a lot of cases. This leads to him punching where the guy was and losing some balance. Usually the nage will then make a motion that the uke over reacts to and takes ukemi as a result. As it was posted above I agree with the assertion that no touch throws work best on other aikidoka. Its mostly a mental game. Its like guys who do pressure point knock outs. It seems to work 100% on their students, but not so well on guys from the local press. The reason being the students are in awe of their sensei. This gives him the power he needs to make just about anything work on them. It gets even more obtuse when they know it is for a demo. Most people know that for demo's you want to be a very good uke, to a fault. Even in judo demos you give a little jump into that throw. Its safe to say that with the right hero worshiping uke it would be possible to point your finger at him and say "bzzzt" and have him fall down. Its not a fault of aikido, or kempo, or any other martial art though. Its a fault of people who let themselves believe too much and question too little.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein