Jamie D. Ducusin wrote:
Heh --- this is a lot like a little thing I posted to my AikiBlog not that long ago (my Sensei's contribution follows). I've removed the dojo-specific references, however...
This came about when, on my break at work yesterday, I
looked down and realized that I was walking around
holding my wallet and water bottle like I was gripping
a bokken. :-P
You know you're a hardcore Aikidoka when:
- ...the Aikido dreams start.
- ...you find yourself with an irresistible urge to
bow every time you enter or exit a room.
- ...the smell of rancid sweat has become oddly
unnoticeable to you.
- ...you immediately stop what you're doing and sit
down whenever you hear someone clap their hands.
- ...you feel like doing Yonkyo anytime someone
reaches to give you a handshake.
- ...you no longer grip anything with your index
- ...you wear athletic tape and/or Neoprene braces
so often, they're practically fashion accessories.
- You blurt out "Hai!" when you're asked to do something at home, or at work.
- You wonder how you would flip someone in an elevator.
- You don't just open a door -- you extend into it from your center.
- Missing practice makes you feel like a caged animal.
- A crowded sidewalk always means tai sabaki practice.
- You've tried doing mai ukemi down a hill -- or on cement.
- Sensei regularly slams the bleep out of you.
- You actually want Sensei to slam the bleep out of you.
This is a great list. ...the dreams start
really resonates with me. It is so well crafted/worded. As a new aikidoka, I was surprised when the dreams started, and they continue! ; ) Kudos Jamie. My addition to the list is ...you no longer wear any kind of jewelry as you go to class so often. It's freeing really.