Thread: Spirituality
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #43
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Spirituality

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
... the first time a Jpn saw chiaroscuro and the handling of light & shadow in Western painting he asked why the subject's face was dirty. This interpretive training is largely absent from aikido. We train. That's body and maybe something of spirit. But the mind probably isn't all that unified with these. The framework for this is absent.
Only because his face is still dirty.

Convention is a means of communication by shorthand, in art or depiction by a form of schematic, a pared down rendering, dispesning with elements not essential to the particular message being transmitted. The availiability of this possibility of shorthand depends on prior agreement on convention. That convention takes up much of what we must teach beginners in aikido, so that they can understand the larger picture, and begin their exploration safely, understanding the posted warnings -- as in skiing, the meaning of the double black diamond for instance, requires familiarity with the convention it represents.

Schematic does not deny the possibility of realistic (denotative) depiction in full lighting -- but it is not necessarily critical to the narrow point being communicated, nor as powerful, where focus, concentration and studied disregard bring something that flat depiction cannot. Therefore -- a schematic. Aikido depends on these schematics, as in kihon. The fully drawn figure of even one technique is too multidimensional to capture in one go.

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
I fundamentally disagree with the propostion that the sign does not partake of the signified, and thus all communication is utterly vain...
So...the map IS the territory?

Don't think so myself.
The map denotes and connotes the territory, it evokes and invokes the territory, it calls forth desire to tread the soil of that territory. It is an interpretive guide to that territory. The map is the distillation of territory into convention.

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
OSensei's form is the content.
Nice aspiration. We disagree as to whether he has actually accomplished this. I don't think so.
You seem to see O-Sensei's techniques as the territory in need of interpretive guidance - you seek the map, the schematic to his techniques according to some interpretive rubric, narrower than the body of techniques themselves. I and others I have known, see the territory at issue as something far greater, and O-Sensei's techniques as the schematic -- the map calling us to explore it, and guiding us along our way.

Cordially,
Erick Mead