View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #1043
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
Could you say that balance and fear are two main principles Aikido.
I would say only the balance really matters. The fear is inconsequential (I hope I spelled that right). It does not matter if they are afraid to fall down or not. The only thing that matters is the must recover their balance to launch an effective attack. I think taking someone's balance or letting them give up their balance is the most important core element you can learn in any martial art. I think this is even more important in aikido because of how percise the techniques must be in order to work. I really didnt' start understanding this until judo. This is because a lot of my partners in aikido would 'give it to me'. In judo I found out the hardware as I got counter-thrown every time I tried a throw until I learned how to properly take my partner's balance. Now I apply this to every aspect of my martial arts training. It doens't matter if it is bjj, judo, aikido, boxing, or a tickle fight with my wife.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein