View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #1024
Hardware

Dojo: Ronin (sort of...)
Canada
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Drew Nichols wrote:
therein lies the paradox. O'sensei achieved his proficiency by ACTUALLY FIGHTING!!! Then later in life advocated not fighting. In order to achieve the proficiency O'sensei attained, you HAVE TO FIGHT against fully resisting opponents. And as far as your "Ki rhytem" (sic), try using that against a non complient uke, and you will get your arse handed to you. This is why aikido 99% of the time will not work in an actual physical altercation the way it is currently trained. I kinda find it funny that the aikido community actually had to develop a quote to defend against it's effectiveness, i.e. "My aikido works, yours does not." Aikido in my opinion does have useful applicable techniques. They just need to be trained in a manner that makes them effective. It's obvious by the examples set by O'sensei that aikido can be effective. Why the aikido community chooses to be passive aggressive in it's philosophy is its downfall.
At the risk of feeding the troll...

Sure, there are lots of Aikidoka who would be ineffective in real combat but that can apply to any martial art. Within any style or art, there will be some junior ranks who can consistently overcome senior ranks as well.

There is no competition or sparring in Aikido for a number of reasons, a predominant one being that the technques can be so devastating that to a certain extent, to practice them, the Uke must comply (ultimately in order to avoid serious injury).

Concessions, for lack of a better word, are made in all martial arts. In Karatedo I'm sure they avoid punching each other full force in the face and we don't judge that because of that, their art is ineffective...