Thread: Punishing Uke
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 AM   #36
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Punishing Uke

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote:
As for David's comments, David, I am using Kata in it general form of "form" rather than prescribed "Kata" as in Judo or Karate Kata. This fits with the perspective of Kata as the form and Waza as the application (of course, with a few added implications that cannot be fully satisfied using the terms "form" and "application").
Rock
The usage of "kata" I have found confusing precisely because we do use explicit jo kata, and kumijo and kumitachi are often described in that way. "Kata" is a term whose usage varies very widely, in this regard, in my experience.

I have been taught to distinguish (at least) four degrees of latitude in single partner taijutsu practice.

1) kihon -- basic, static, linear form of prescribed attack and technique ( the "formal" demonstration) "1-2-3"

2) ki no nagare -- the dynamic blending manner of performing prescribed attack and prescribed technique -- not necessasairly limited in speed or orientation. "1-2-3" becomes "1"

3) henkawaza -- prescribed attack with a certain (or any) number techniques allowed based on the aiki or uke reaction at the moment of contact (e.g -- five kokyunage techniques from Shomenuchi, any four techniques from munetsuki) Some do formalize certain henkawaza progressions, e.g. -- initial intent to do shomenuchi ikkyo becoming iriminage, kokyunage, kotegaeshi, etc.

4) jiyuwaza -- any of a number (sometimes given) of attacks and number of techniques performed without any given order of performance -- i.e -- three techniques each continuous to munetsuki, shomenuchi and katadori. (after which -- collapse in heap)

Jiyuwaza can be more or less structured depending on instructor's preference

Randori can take any of the last three forms.

These are obviously broad generalizations, but that's about right in the most generally applicable usage from what I have gleaned from my sojourns through various USAF, ASU, and Iwama affiliated dojos.

Local practice may differ substantially.

Cordially.
Erick Mead