View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #67
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
Ahh but you see, as a requirement of my bjj training, I have to find and attack random people on th street every day. We are barbarians you know!

But seriously, that is a good point. Most people will never be attacked. But the question comes: Why do so many martial art instructors (aikido suffers this as well) make such a big deal about the self defense portion of their art, if self defense is really not a concern? Shouldn't we tell these people to go get some stun gun training? If someone goes into the majority of dojo's in america and tells the sensei they are there for self defense, they will usually be told that their art can make you invincible (more of less). This is why we see hundreds of people who seem to think they are invincible because they study aikido, or TKD, or BJJ. If self defense is a major concern, then it should be addressed to the highest level, including an attack by chuck norris, bruce lee, and helio grace at the same time.
Thanks Don,
When you wrote,"Why do so many martial art instructors (aikido suffers this as well) make such a big deal about the self defense portion of their art, if self defense is really not a concern? Shouldn't we tell these people to go get some stun gun training? If somone goes into the majority of dojo's in america and tells the sensei they are there for self defense, they will usually be told that their art can make you invincible (more of less). This is why we see hundreds of people who seem to think they are invincible because they study aikido, or TKD, or BJJ."

This makes my point. We should tell people the truth and I do. I talk to them every day and tell them the truth. 98 % of the walk ins have the wrong idea about what martial arts can do and what they are. I know they can help you with self defense but not in the short run and they won't make you unbeatable but if you train long and hard and God is watching over you, yes, in that once in a lifetime incident, I believe Aikido could be the vehicle that could save you if your life was threatened, on your feet or on the ground. Just don't get in two or three of those once in a lifetime incidents because then, you might get hurt!
Best wishes,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."