View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #64
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
I am interested in the concept that some in the martial arts world seem to have, that they really need to train themselves up against 'the skilled attacker'. Who are all these trained martial artists that go around attacking innocent bystanders?

If you want to 'spar' with someone from another MA with aikido then perfect your aikido and see how well you can make it work against the different types of attack thrown at you. A long term project for sure, but worth it as in the end you will at least be proficient in 1 art.

A fight is not sparring, aikido used for real in a fight has no rules, if your aikido is good enough, the chances are you will come out of it fairly well. Reading Shioda Sensei's book Aikido Shugyo helped me appreciate this.

If anyone wants self defense in three months, aikido is not the art for you. I'm not sure what is in that short a time frame. And any art that gives an over inflated sense of confidence, could lead folk into standing and fighting when other options would be wiser.

The confidence to be effective with aikido can take a long time. But hey, that's just the nature of the art. Does any other MA out there invite as much 'misunderstanding' about it's effectiveness.

I totally agree with Dennis Hookers post, particularly in relation to good Scotch!!

Fine malt whiskey takes many years to develop, every last drop should be savored. Aikido is similar.
In fact sitting sipping a good scotch after aikido practice induces the finest if internal glows. While you are doing this, you can ponder away to your hearts content

Just a few thoughts,

regards

Mark
p.s. it's early in the day..I haven't been drinking!
Mark,
What you have expressed is what I have said over and over in different ways. Aikido is enough for the ordinary person. By reading some threads, you would think the world has run amok with skilled experienced martial artists attacking innocent bystanders. A lot of people are worried about something that will never happen. I am 50 years old and have never been attacked by a BJJ person, a Karate person or a Wing Chun person. I have been in fights as a kid. I was raised in a neighborhood that was like some parts of the Bronx. We saw fights every day. I still remember seeing girls fighting with can openers trying to cut each others faces but in all that, I was never on the ground (except once from a good right cross and I got up quick) and I was never attacked by another martial artist. It could happen but those scenes of large groups of martial artists fighting are from the movies. I am not saying it couldn't happen. I am saying that it probably won't. I was at a restaurant once in a group dinner and there was a guy who commandeered the conversation and started talking about all the fights he had been in. When he was finished, the Shihan said to him in front of everyone, "I am from a land where they practice fighting arts as part of the culture and I have never been in a fight in all my life." Everyone got quiet in there and it was apparent what he was trying to communicate.
In real fighting, there aren't any rules and one reason we didn't like close contact was because the hands can hit in many places where sport martial arts don't allow and the mouth is also an instrument that can bite when two people are too close or are wresting. In the gang culture where they are almost never alone, rolling on the ground is a bad idea. A well trained Aikidoist will do just fine in the world I grew up in. Heck, I did fine and I didn't learn Aikido until after I left that world. The biggest thing I learned there was to stay in groups, don't look at anybody in the eyes for more than a glance, always know what's going on around you, and stay away from any trouble you see and anyone you know is trouble.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."