View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #58
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
I never knew that certain companies have certain techniques that are official use only. Hey, you get to learn something new every day.

On that topic (sorry for jumping off topic here), I wonder what would happen if the person being apprehended got very violent to the point of life-threatening and your son did use other techniques besides the official ones? In that instance, I think, knowing a martial art would be very beneficial. Hopefully you'd never have to use it, but like the old adage ... I'd rather have it and not have to use it than not have it and need it.

Mark

Actually, that has happened to my son. His boss and co-workers know he does Aikido. Once, they were in a terrific struggle with a very big guy. The company techniques were ineffective. When the guy started to topple both my son and his boss and they all fell down, the security boss yelled, " Robert, use your stuff !!!" My son used a nikyo from the ground and then rolled it into a kata osae and that was the end of that.
My son has been attacked in the mall, at a park and walking home (we live in Houston) and used Aikido successfully each time although he did inflict an injury one time on his assailant but he was only 17 at the time and didn't have the control that he does now.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."