View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #54
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

I don't see how it is possible to train multiple arts and not mix them. I've had this conversation before with my aikido instructor about my judo training. There is really no way to say this is a judo technique or this is a bjj technique. You cant' say ikkyo is a aikido technique it exists in jujitsu as well (what hasn't come from some form of jujitsu when you think about it). I think aikido is simply the mindset behind your motions.

When I'm in competition, I dont say ok this is judo so I'm going to use judo. Or this is bjj so I'm going to use bjj. I just act. When I am showing somone a technique I dont say, ok this is a judo technique or this is a bjj technique or this is an aikido technique. I just say, this is something I found that works in this situtaiton.

At the core the principles of centering, relaxation, and balance (weight on my side) are present no matter if I'm in a bjj competiton, or a judo competition, or sparing mma. I've been told you build your own aikido. I've been told you build your own judo. I've heard many a judoka say someone's judo is strong. There is no reason to remove or seperate something simply because you dont think it meets the worlds definition of your art. Martial arts are ment to grow beyond their creators. I look at them the same way I look at open source programming. I have a base of source code that I can change, modify, or combine with others to make a program that does what I need. Then, I have the choice of keeping it to myself or giving it back to the community to disect, critisize, or use as they see fit.

As I've said before I think it all comes down to finding something you enjoy, working at it as hard as you can, then being honest to yourself about your weaknesses and finding ways to improve them. If you are a judo guy, and your weakness is striking, you dont want to train judo harder. You want to go find someone who can teach you how to punch. The same goes to your aikido. Maybe your aikido instructor has no ground training. I personally woulnd't trust someone's teaching on something they have never done. Theory just doesn't work well with me. I would go experiance ground work with someone who has trained in it for a long time, then figure out how to bring it back into my aikido.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein