View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #30
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

Jorge, I enjoyed your post, and while I do have some disagreements with it, I think it adds some very important perspectives to this topic.

The main thing that I think your post misses, is that the orginal poster is specifically looking for something geared toward his occupation. I don't believe he has said what that occupation is directly, but it sounds as if it is some type of law enforcement or at least a job where the staff must occationally be able to restrain people.

If that is the case, I think there are programs you can take that will drill some basics into you in a relatively short period of time. BJJ or aikido might be a good addition to some of those programs, especially if you have numbers on your side (multiple staff for one patient, for instance). We have seen aikido often in use in Law Enforcement for that very reason.

If you want to learn how to brawl or to survive knock down type situations, I think that is different from the category above. There, a mix of basics such as what you see in UFC type events might actually suit well...if you have some native ability. Otherwise, it could be a longer haul than you think.

Aikido, in my mind, is better suited to longer term goals. But I've been wrong before.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)