Thread: Punishing Uke
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Punishing Uke

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
To me, "There is no resistance in aikido" means that NAGE never resists anything UKE does.
I was taught that "Uke is never wrong."
Quote:
David Orange wrote:
But no one seems to want a realistic uke at all. Realistic ukes seem to be both feared and hated to the point that any time some people miss a technique, they blame it on uke's "resisting" and their thoughts turn to slamming, striking or in some way punishing uke. And that is just wrong.
Uke does need to modulate the attack to the scale of nage's ability, i.e. -- when working slowly, continue energy in the natural curve, just slower. Taking "advantage" of the expanded timescale for learnig kihon techniques in practice is simply poor traing, for both uke and nage.
Quote:
I know that in this modern age, it is very common to teach uke to throw himself off balance with his attack and never resist nage's technique. But if he CAN resist nage's technique, it's NAGE's mistake--not uke's. Rather than having an evil, punishing attitude toward uke, we need to look closely at ourselves.
I pray the former is not true, as it is not true fo our dojo. The latter is very true.
Quote:
David Orange wrote:
As for atemi to facilitate technique, I never hit anyone with any force of contact, but with a lot of force of intent. ... but in general in aikido, I think it's bad to actually hit the partner. Especially if he is training sincerely and not fighting the technique.
I don't now that i agree about Atemi as a toguhening exercise, but I feel that knowing where they are and always looking for them puts attention where it should be -- at my partner's center.

I find that a good <Tap> into openings that nage or uke leaves in attack/technique helps him/her to close up those suki. Just telling him about an opeining misses the point. That only communicates to his conscious mind. Tapping the ribs talks to the "monkey-brain" in the back of the skulll, and the lesson is far less likely to need repeating, not becasue of its severity ( it shouldn't hurt him, just get his attention) but because it is direct communication ot apart of the brain not mediated by intellect.

Atemi restablishes a connection that is about to be lost, which is the looseness (m i.e. - disconnection) you are describing in the whole practice movement that permits room for "resistance." Resistance developing means that your connection to the partner is becoming non-existent.

Atemi, even just implied, tightens things up. A good example, if you have the limp fish-grip uke for katatedori techniques, simply look him in the eye, tell him what you can reach and grab below belt level, and extend your hand. The grip becomes suddenly -- very real.

Osae waza -- pins and controls nikkyo, sankyo etc. are also about maintaining connection (and insurance on that connection, in place of a means to reestablish it). Osae waza signal to uke's center to move with you; they are not for causing mere pain-compliance. Pain compliance simply doesn't work on drunks druggees or even just a completely sober guy worked up into a really good adrenaline rage.

Quote:
Krajewski wrote:
I think that resistance definitely has its place within any training.
I don't. If I do not respond to the signals to move that nage is giving me I am not learning good ukewaza. I am not protecting myself. On the other hand, if nage gves me an opening, I will take the offered ukemi to avoid injury -- and hit him or throw him as I do it. A proper kaeshi waza is not resisting the partner's tehcnique or attack but applying aiki and becoming part of it to make it your own.

Cordially,
Erick Mead