Thread: Punishing Uke
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Re: Punishing Uke

As I have gotten better, I have often found lazy practitioners who have given up trying to improve their practice to rely too much on atemi. I should know, I was one of those lazy people. However, take the atemi with thanks for it is good practice in toughening up the body and learning how to minimise the effect of an atemi for the martial part of your practice. It is also a very good opportunity to practice your kaeshiwaza and henkawaza. For instance, go from morotetori on the first arm to a morotetori on the second striking arm as they do the atemi. Just don't do that too often or your instructor will become upset at your disrupting the class.

Oh, by the way, if you take ukemi for many Shihan and proceed to throw yourself, you will be reprimanded at the least, or injured at the worst. This is especially true if they are doing henkawaza and you don't keep your balance when they are changing to the second technique.

I often do an atemi on people who don't resist strongly enough and fall too easily. If they are so easy to throw, why do a technique at all? Just hit them and get it over with. No need for Aikido.

Rock