View Single Post
Old 08-03-2000, 06:47 AM   #22
Guest5678
Re: Training Reality

Quote:
Frankk wrote:
Being that I am a bit short on time at the moment, I am only going to reply to the training part of my argument. In the combat training that I am talking about, you CAN get killed in the training and people have died. Therefore it is realistic. Specifically I am talking about advanced military training, either recon marines, SEAL, Special Forces or any folks of other nationalities who do this type of stuff. Now I am not familiar with the statistics of SWAT live fire room clearing training but I would bet that someone has died in it also. Remember people have died also in martial arts training. I can think of examples in both Iaido and jujutsu. SO, death is always just around the corner in our training. It is up to us to perceive that danger, if we dont we are meat for evolution. We just have a tendency to forget this in the "tender and peaceful" art of aikido. A little later I will blow out my opinion on combat variables.
Frankk
Frankk,

I see your point. People do get killed while training, however all of your examples serve to reinforce the statement I made earlier, that you cannot predict the outcome of an engagement --even in training.

Also, I would call to your attention that there is a vast difference in an accidental death and an intended death. True, dead is dead regardless of how it happened but I doubt seriously that is was the intent of the training program to kill it's students. That only happens with time. Time is a great teacher, unfortunately it kills ALL of it's students.

You also stated that "SO, death is always just around the corner in our training" I agree, but one must also realize it's around the corner in life period. Training is a part of our life so it is also subject to that element. We assume that risk not only when we train but every time we get on a plane or get behind the wheel of a car etc...... and although I believe it is vastly different from having someone actually trying to take your life, the fact still remains that you cannot predict either situation. We can only plot strategies, review logistics, train for theoretical situations based on past experiences, but even with all that preparation, until we actually engage, we have no clue as to how a situation will end.

If you can concieve of a method for predetermining the outcome of an event please let me know, for there are a few horse races we could attend or perhaps we could get together in Vegas!

Regards,
Dan Pokorny