View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Poll: Which of the following attacks is the most difficult for you to handle during aikido training?

David
Quote:
That sounds like really difficult randori training - people kicking low to the knee.
The randori is normally done at low intensity, but everything is allowed provided both sides will e able to take it without injury. One may kick anyway he wishes if he can control the force of the kick and knows how to fall in the middle of the kick if a technique would be applied on him. Kicks are not frequent mostly due to the latter element (the fall is not nice). Some of people have found light low kicks are a wonderful atemi, they are right, since it is very difficult to feel it in time for a counter.

David

Quote:
Kicks to the knee are very easy to counter if you have an effective hanmi (and not the type very typically seen demonstrated in Aikido); I've most often used nekoashi dachi (collectively called a "Cat stance").

This type of stance allows you to take kicks to the lower legs and still maintain your posture and stance. The only down side is it is very hard to move quickly forwards or backwards in this stance because the majority of your weight is on your rear leg.
Getting into a stance where you can hardly move is not a good solution. Further, the situation I wrote about is one where I am attacking, the other uses a light low kick to the knee area as an atemi prior to applying his technique. I am moving, I am not in a fixed stance (thanks for the complements to the Aikido stance, at least in Korindo Aikido they are great for their purpose - free movement). The difficulty is to sense the low kick while advancing in order of countering it (move aside).

As I wrote, the main difficulty is not kicks, but rather an experienced high level attacker who can track you if you miss the exact timing. We have just acquired several more of these people, as another couple of YonDasha Karate students have joined us as "newbies".

Amir