View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: thinking about taking aikido

Yeah, getting a taste is about the best thing I can think of. Without knowing what you want to get out of it, it's hard to make recommendations (which I assume is why you're posting here). Most of my experience is in a different style, but I've just begun Shodokan (Tomiki ryu) and I certainly like it. They're like two different kinds of candy: both are sweet but with different flavors.
In my limited opinion, if you're looking for practical self-defense it depends more upon the teacher than the style. Aikido does teach many important principles, and you often learn how to "fall" without hurting yourself, which has come in handy for me playing sports, among other things, but you might find another approach suits you better...you never know until you give it a try.
I think it's important to check around a bit before committing to any particular school. There are many very open-minded people out there, but obviously each of us is doing what we think suits us best, and some people think what they do is the best way to do it, period. Experience as many different "flavors" as possible before handing over your hard-earned cash.
Best of luck,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 05-29-2006 at 07:56 PM.

Gambarimashyo!