View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #81
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

I know I put my two cents in before, but I can't resist doing it again.

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
My sensei is not fat but can still throw 2 people at the same time.
Same here. Furthermore, the mere fact of having to get up ~200 times during a practice helps me work up a sweat; it's the hardest thing I do right now!

Quote:
you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
ahhh, in Yoshinkan aikido, the shite attacks!
Other brances, too, although sometime this is symbolized by starting from hanmi; extending ki can be considered being a ste ahead, it seems. Morote Dori has also been taught as uke grabbing nage's attack and nage then goes to the aiki buffet.

Quote:
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
Grabbing simulates a punch, for me its just the same.

And don't forget shomen cuhi, yokomenuchi, and punches which don't involve grabbing anything.

Quote:
" aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
Locks are supposed to be applied in a way that it affects the wrists, elbow, shoulder, spine and finally the knees, if it is properly done you dont need to kick and punch
Ahhh, I wouldn't mess around with leg locks unless someone had taught you leg locks -- you may think they're the same but they'r'e not. OTOH, no jumping? Whaddya call a flying breakfall, then?

Quote:
..... " aikido is too traditional, no body use sword in our world today"
My sensei still uses his sword
Nobody in the USA in AD 2006 uses a stick in their right hand and a knife in their left, either, but that doesn't stop FMA people from doing espada y daga. Aikido's body mechanics come from Japanese swordsmanship, so that is good to know.