View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 05:34 PM   #59
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Aliveness in Martial Arts Video Clip

I do not discount any martial art as being worthless or useless. I think you can use aikido, kempo, ninjitsu, whatever. I just think adding this 'aliveness' training will improve any art. We don't have to use the word aliveness, we can use free vs static, or anything else. I do take everything and work at it with 'aliveness' even my aikido.

I think the main thing that I would like to stress is that you 'cut the fat'. If you use Matt's concept of 'aliveness' to build your game, there is no reason to train things you will never use in a real situation. Examine everything and understand why you are doing it (But I gather you already know this from reading your posts). An example would be a horse stance and reverse punch. What does this really teach you about throwing a punch? Besides making a fist you will never do that in a fight, its just a waste of time. Learn to move, keep your guard up and throw punches from positions you will actually punch from. This can be done with hand targets then sparing. At the same time you have to understand what is a conditioning drill and what is a skill building drill. Hitting a heavy bag is not training with aliveness, it is a conditioning skill. Doing an armbar drill with 30% resistance is a 'alive' drill. We all know good examples of aikido training that fit this bill. Aikido randori is very much alive. However many schools keep it at bay, they don't take it to a level that will allow it to be useful on a physical level. Which is ok as long as they understand that. If I only trained aikido the way I see it done it would take years upon years to be the basic movements and timing down when someone is actually trying to hurt me. But with constant drilling (or sparing) with 'aliveness', this can be cut down to months.

Yes I preach, but I only preach because I have yet to see proof that I'm wrong. I usually get answers like "On the street that sport stuff will be useless" with no answer as to why their training would not be useless if sport training is useless. A lot of people even do have aliveness training and don't understand that I am just suggesting they add more or more intense aliveness into their training.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I've done training where a guy throws a lunge punch then stands there while I punch, kick, throw, and lock him. Then I think we train hard because people are really getting hit. I've trained only kata and kata + point sparing. I've done the RBSD stuff where you drill super complex fight dances with multiple people. I've been throw and disarmed by my aikido instructor, and I've been choked, amrbared, punched, kicked, slammed, tripped, and thrown while attempting to do my worst to the guy standing on the other end of the mat. That doesn't mean I know what will work for you. But I can say that the most effective fighters I've met have all been guys who trained with 'aliveness' (judo, kyokushin karate , and bjj/mma guys). I want to suggest that people examine their training honestly. Just because you spent 15 years doing something and your teacher and teacher's teacher spent three times as long doing so doesn't make it worth while. It could of changed, just been wrong, or is no longer valid for todays world. Or it could be a very valuable and necessary part of your training. Just make sure you understand why. Otherwise we could all end up standing with one arm out while a guy dances around us for 30 seconds and then says, "I just hit you 200 times, you would now be dead".

One last thing before I go. Ron, what was the point you were trying to make? I want to address it, but I really don't know what your were trying to say. I assumed you were just making the old smart remarks most people make about sport not preparing you for the street like traditional arts will. My rant was just trying to show that neither sport nor traditional arts will prepare you for a gun.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein