View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #270
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Mike Sigman wrote:

Quote:
Kevin... if I took your attitude, I'd say that weight training and getting strong has no proven benefit in a fight. Case in point, I grab a guy that works out in the gym and I put him in the ring with Chuck Liddell. Liddell kicks his butt. Kevin says, "See, weight training doesn't work when you put it to the test". I give up, Kevin. You don't grasp the concept and I'm not anxious enough to explain it 30 times. As a matter of fact, Kevin, since Chuck Liddell can kick YOUR butt, why do you even do martial arts????.... it obviously doesn't work for you. But hey..... since Chuck Liddell can kick Osama's butt, let's send him a message that says the jig is up
Not good logic.

Since Chuck Liddell can kick my ass and I value the type of training that he does as being pretty close to the real deal, then I would do whatever Chuck Liddell says to do, and study with those that are like minded and like skilled.

Chuck Liddell lifts weights, runs, and does other training things. He is a good role model to follow. If he told me to go study tai chi with "such-and-such" tai chi master as that will give you an edge in being a better physical fighter...then I'd do it.

Unfortunately, I have not found anyone that can and has demonstrated the ability to hold there own in a field of resistive fighting to make that recommendation so I have not found it to be of value. Again, the day they do, then I will be all over it.