Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #259
Jim Sorrentino
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Mike,
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Jim, I thought about posting one after you and I exchanged emails the other day, but unless we do as Wendy Rowe suggested and indicate who is pushing the jo at what angle and at how much force, we won't know a lot. If someone DOES do that, then the cry will come, "Why can't they withstand the push of 3 NFL linebackers (which of course O-Sensei never did, that we have records of). It gets down to Tohei withstanding a forearm push while standing on one leg. He's making a point about how he deliberately sources the ground in an angle from his foot.... but there will be people who focus on the "trick" and want to drive a '55 Chevy Pickup into his forearm sneer at him if he can't withstand that..... I.e., some people will deliberately work all day to miss an obvious point without realizing exactly who it is they're making look like an idiot.
I agree --- but, a little video is better than nothing, which is what we have right now. I found the previous videos of Akuzawa that Rob posted pretty interesting. The video of Chen Xiao Wang doing fa jin is interesting, and worth watching. And when someone claims repeatedly, in several different forums, that he can do something... well, I'd like to see it.

Jim