View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 AM   #253
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
This logic is what has me confused about the value of the "Jo trick" when we are talking physcial martial ability. I am not talking about theoretical understanding or mental, spiritual aspects...simply physical abilities in actual application.
Kevin, normally with Chinese martial artists who have developed this kind of training, the essential trick is that they stand there, make a fist, and stick their arm straight out in front of them and the ask someone to try to knock their arm up, down, or sideways. Seriously... you can't move some of these guys. What is the value of this martially, since it's the same thing as the jo trick, except Ueshiba basically just embellished the trick? It shows a strong mofo, Kevin.... someone with a strength that can be used martially that most people don't have. What else can I tell you? It's like the way some fighters demonstrate various other tricks to show that they're strong. Someday we'll meet and over the beers that you buy me, I will give you my thoughts on the subject.

Regards,

MIke