View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
John Matsushima

United_States
Re: In the dojo, 90% of Aikido is uke

Quote:
Deborah Bell wrote:
though if I'm uke, and the technique being done has no effect (e.g not being done correctly, or with any amount of force at all) i wont go. how else would tori know that they are not doing it correctly otherwise.

The is a very good point, but it is the main reason that I think people behave poorly as uke's. It is their intention to show uke their failures, or weak points in their technique. I think we have to let go of that attachment. As a practitioner, how do we really know what is correct? From my experience, i have "corrected" people only to find out that later that it was a different way, or even advanced way to do the technique. Through my limited understanding of aikido, I put that limitation on uke and stopped him from progressing beyond my own level. That was wrong. It is not our place to judge and teach, that is Sensei's job. I believe it is Tori's job to pay attention and know if they are using too much power, are unbalanced, have openings, etc. Besides, who can do a technique perfectly every time? When you do a technique right, you can feel it.
Thank you for your input.

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/