View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
Ritchie Martinez
Dojo: Makiling Aikido International
Philippines
Re: Tracing my Philippine Aikikai Roots

Hi,

I just want to give you a bit of info on Manuel 'Omar' Camar Sensei, 8th Dan. He is currently our Cheif Instructor and President at the Manila Aikido Club - Philippine Aikikai Headquarters, our GQ is located at Aurora Boulevard, Quiapo, Manila and have branches at Star Mall, EDSA cor. Shaw Blvd. and Metropolis Mall, Alabang, Muntinlupa. Camar Sensei also teaches at the Philippine Public Safety Colleges (PPSC) - Fort Bonifacio, Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA) - Silang, Cavite and other police training schools, whose names I forgot, here in the Philippines. I'm also definetly sure that Camar Sensei and Johnny Tenegra are two different people, I'll have to ask Camar Sensei who Johnny Tenegra is and if he became his student, or what relation he has with the Club. Anyway, here's some added info, it was Benjamin Guilarpe Sensei who brought Aikido to the Philippines in September 13, 1963 and named it the Manila Aikido Club, it gained the recognition of the World Aikido Headquarters, Tokyo, Japan in 1964. Come 1978, Guilarpe Sensei gave Camar Sensei full responsibility of the Club to date. The name Philippine Aikikai Headquarters was used when Camar Sensei went to Guam to teach Aikido, Camar Sensei continued to use that name until early last year. Towards the end of 2005, he announced during our Christmas party that he would be using the clubs original name, MANILA AIKIDO CLUB, hence, Manila Aikido Club - Philippine Aikikai Headquarters. I hope that this info will be of good help to you.

Richie Martinez