View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #123
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote:
Again, I would ask everyone to dig out their videos of O'Sensei, both Doshu, and look particularly at their students. Do you see ANY resistance? No, you will not. O'Sensei allowed these videos to be made so we would be able to see for ourselves how to train Aikido.
Honestly, Ken, my knowledge of the English knowledge is not sufficient to detect, what you want to tell us.

Saotome Sensei stated several times: "Resistance is natural reaction of uke and you should never blame uke for being resistant", while he also requires Uke not to stop nage's technique, just because he knows, which technique is requested to be performed.

He tells his students to punch or kick uke, if he does not protect himself (Aikido and the Harmony of Nature), while he insists, that his kind of training is not sparring. And I never understood "no force, no violence" as an order not to attack seriously or not to perform effective techniques.

He also tells us (same book) that he tried to attack O Sensei as hard as he could - even when O Sensei was already weak from cancer a short time before his passing, but I could not find any story, where he stated "I fell, because I felt that I was expected to fall".

Yes, I was told that as uke, if I do not see a chance to continue the attack, I should evade by ukemi, but only in explicit "dancing exercises", to get the moves more fluid, I was told to perform ukemi on my own, when the right time has come in the movement.

As far as I cannot find resistance in O Sensei's demonstrations, it seems to me, that uke had no chance to insist, as the technique was just perfect. I might be wrong. So maybe someone can find a statement from O Sensei's uke or just ask some of those, who are still out there. I cannot judge on both following doshu or other demonstrations, some seem to want demonstrations to look perfect, but there are different ways to do that. Some just constrain themselves to a small set of techniques they can perform well, some only use uke, they know very good and can forecast their reaction.

So maybe you can explain a bit better, how you think, we should train. Coming back to the initial topic of this thread: assuming the story told in the beginning was exactly as written here, who do you think was wrong, the 4th kyu uke or the nidan nage?

Cheers Dirk (only 3rd kyu, though)