View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #24
KerstineElnegaard
Denmark
Re: If you have trained in both Aikikai and Iwama, please help me...

Quote:
Jon Sharp wrote:
...Some of the techniques that I was fond of such as Hanmi handachi suwari waza shiho nage (ura) don't appear in the iwama syllabus which I think is a shame. I also really enjoyed the strong emphasis on ukemi in Hombu. ..snip
Hi Jon, I just wanted to comment on this. I train Takemusu Aikido, which is part of Aikikai. Here in Europe, this is what used to be called Iwama Ryu. Hitohiro Saito Sensei's style is now called "Iwama Shinshin Aiki Shuren Kai" as far as I am aware, and is not Aikikai affiliated. I am not certain which style the original poster is asking for. In the dojos I have trained in, hanmi handachi shiho nage ura waza (and omote waza) are taught, and are definitely part of the curriculum.

Regarding style. I train in the Iwama style because I am attracted to the harder training which defines the dojos of this style in my "neighbourghhood". This is just how it is here, and that porbably varies after where you go.

Some people that I have experienced that I would suggest you see are Ulf Evenås (from Sweden and Shihan in Takemusu Aikido)

Mark Larson (America)
Lewis de Quirós
Pia Moberg
Lasse Andersson