View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #44
Jose Garrido
United_States
Exclamation Re: Traditional Aikido vs Nihon Goshin

OK guys, I just looked at this thread and it bothers me in a few ways. One way is the fact that NGA has NEVER claimed to be AIKIKAI related and that people have forgotten that NG= Nihon Goshin= Japanese Self-Defense. It is a practical self-defense oriented style. I also have seen all of the certificates and they do read Aikido.

Now what techniques are present. Richard Bowe used American/English names for them but I can assure you that the following "aikido" waza are present: ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, yonkyo, hiji jime, kotegaeshi, kokyunage, kotegaeshi, kaitennage, shomen iriminage, sokumen iriminage, sudori. Now the jujutsu based: osotogari, ogoshi, ippon seionage, seio-otoshi, kani basami, yoko wakare, hara guruma and more.....

I started my NGA training in 1964 and I can assure you that it is an aikido system with its roots in Daito-ryu because it has some techniques that can be traced directly to its Daito-ryu version without any changes.

Now, this is my two cents worth that I felt I had to add. The only other thing that I must add is that Richard Bowe is and was an exemplary martial artist and instructor. When I trained with him, he was a hard task master about correct technique. And I feel that if you want to train in a a practical and effective Gendai (modern) Budo (martial way) NGA is it.

Now I will bow out

Jose' Garrido

Jose' delCristo Garrido
Nihon Goshin Aikido
Hakko-ryu Jujutsu
Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu