View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #65
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Justin, I completely understand, and that has a lot to do with my "issues".

I am trying hard to understand the perspective and conditions surrounding the things that Dan and Mike discuss and support.

It is possible that we judge things differently or perceive things differently. It is also quite possible that I could work with them physically and walk away and say "nothing special" and that in wouldn't not necessarily invalidate their methods. Paradigms and perspectives can play alot in this type of thing.

Philosophically at least, I am aligned with them has I believe in the interconnectedness of all life, energy...whatever you call it. I do believe at the mind, paradiqms, etc are very powerful things and the conditioning process that starts the moment we are concieved both limits us and presents us opportunities. Opportunities require us to be open minded.

I am very well aware, havng wasted many, many years of my own martial training that cognitive dissonance plays a HUGE roll in why we do the things we do.

There is much we can learn from eastern philosophy and training methodologies to reduce dissonance. IMHO western pychology is still in it's infancy compared to many eastern methodologies. To that end Aikido and many CMAs are one way to assist us in that process.

However, the crux of the matter is managing the expectations about what Aikido and other methodologies will really do for us. My main concern is that the word "internal" has been slung around quite heavily with purported benefits to "improve us". Several methods for testing "internal" have been offered, but unless I am missing something, no one has really outlined what the benefits are, and what exactly we are testing other than proper "body mechanics" as defined as the alignment of physical, emotional, and mental processes through a narrowly defined parameters and conditions as offered in the unbendable arm and the Jo trick.

I personally think, as Dan has stated I believe, that we put way too much emphasis on the importance of that. That said, if so, then I am at a odds as to why he states that aikido is lacking if this is what it is lacking if the jo trick is not really all that important.

does this make sense?