View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #48
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Quote:
Brad Darr wrote:
so here is a question, is this the same thing when a person pushes something really large like a car or boulder or elephant or something, if the body is working in the proper way you describe would we simply be pushing the object with the earth? Does that come across?
Hi Brad:

Yes. Although if I'm pushing something like that, I usually just put my mind to paying attention that my hands are easily and firmly connected to my hara and I pay attention to pushing with my hara. The power from the ground to the hara is fairly obvious. Someone with a tendency for high blood-pressure (hypertension) is supposed to keep their attention on the center of the soles of the feet and the connection to the hands.
Quote:
Also Hiroshi Ikeda Sensei often talks about "putting you weight on" so when uke grabs katatedori it feels like the whole or most of the body weight of nage is on top of them but there is no push from the arm. The image I have is nage standing on the outstretched arm of uke and the "weight" of nage drives the person down. I have felt this done by Ikeda Sensei quite a few times so it definately feels like his whole weight or more! My question then is this something similar, is he reversing the effect you describe, the force traveling up the backleg down his arm into the grab of uke? Or is it something different and how would you describe it?
Well, if you look at the fourth paragraph of post #32, I mention that Tohei either lets the force of the ground OR the force of his weight do the work (sometimes it can be a combination of those 2, out in some of the horizontal ranges).

Generally speaking forces of this sort using the earth or the weight (which is where the "Ki of Earth" and the "Ki of Heaven" idea comes from) to provide power for a human can be thought of as 4 general forces:
Up
Down
Away from the Body (Push)
Toward the Body (Pull)

Since "Away from the Body" and "Toward the Body" can really be done (a.) to the front (b.) to the rear (c.)to the left side) (d.)to the right side, those 2 directions (away and toward) really become 4 directions. So in terms of force directions there are 6 directions... all other directions can be described and manifested as aspects of the 6-directions of forces. (Just as an aside, if you watch this sort of thinking develop, it follows the yin-yang cosmology of "from nothing comes the Tai Chi (the Yin Yang) which splits to 4, to 6, etc.).

OK, so all forces of "Up", "Away from the Body" and "Toward the body" are really just paths that the mind sets up which derive their power from the ground.

http://www.neijia.com/JinVector.jpg shows a figure with several different directions dotted in. You should be able to just stand there and form any of those directions (or the many more potential ones) of force at will. That is the core of the "mind-body" thing.

The oddball is any direction downward. You have to learn to form connections or paths from your center of weight to anywhere on your body at will. In fact, that potential should always be there ("heavy side down") so that it's hard to lift your arms to an opponent and he can have his weight on you when he touches you.

http://www.neijia.com/DownWeight.jpg

I suspect that if you grab Ikeda Sensei with a downward weight to your grab (I would do that just as an experiment if I were his student) he'd switch to something else. Different people have different tactics on the grab, but "down and toward a direction where uke has no support" is usually a pretty good on.

All the Best.

Mike