View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #45
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
No offense taken Mike. I don't understand and frankly I am trying to understand. I am trying to break it down into simple logic and look for contradictions to my thought process so I can better evaluate and understand. Again, appreciate your patience.
No problem, Kevin. I don't deal in "energies" or anything, so we're basically left with some physical skills that really have to be felt to be explained. The problem is that people hear explanations in terms of what they already know. The two big problems I see are (1.) that people don't know these things, so it's impossible to communicate until you establish a common terminology or (2.) that people know some of the rudiments so they tend to block out the conversation or deeds beyond that because they get stuck on "Oh yeah, I know about that stuff" and they never progress. I'm just as guilty as the next guy for having trapped myself that way at times.
Quote:
A number of years ago I worked for a day or two with Tuey Staples in St Louis with Tai Chi. Ironically I was visiting a friend from my old dojo that was Studying aikido with Irene Wellington. They both found a great deal of value in what he had to teach to spend a fair amount of time focusing on it. I didn't work with him enough to really understand things, but enough to feel how strong and responsive he was and it was "different".
I've met Tuey a couple of times and he doesn't do what any real Taiji experts do (or at least he didn't when I met him some years ago). He seems to have interpretted a lot of the terminology in his own unique way... and I'm not the only person that has noticed that, so I feel fairly safe in commenting on it.
Quote:
Again, thanks guys for trying to take the time to explain. I am not scoffing at the ability or proficiency of these guys....what I am having a hard time with is the etiology, explaination, and rational that is offered concerning the concepts.
I have been with a few other taichi guys, but frankly found it to be a waste of time as they were simply going through the motions.
Well, if you judge Taiji by most of the practitioners, it appears to be a pretty useless art, I agree. No argument and on offense to me. And I agree that what needs to be done is meet sometime and try to establish a base descriptive terminology.

Regards,

Mike