View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #44
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Dan, Mike thanks for the replies and your patience.

No offense taken Mike. I don't understand and frankly I am trying to understand. I am trying to break it down into simple logic and look for contradictions to my thought process so I can better evaluate and understand. Again, appreciate your patience.

A number of years ago I worked for a day or two with Tuey Staples in St Louis with Tai Chi. Ironically I was visiting a friend from my old dojo that was Studying aikido with Irene Wellington. They both found a great deal of value in what he had to teach to spend a fair amount of time focusing on it. I didn't work with him enough to really understand things, but enough to feel how strong and responsive he was and it was "different".

Again, thanks guys for trying to take the time to explain. I am not scoffing at the ability or proficiency of these guys....what I am having a hard time with is the etiology, explaination, and rational that is offered concerning the concepts.
I have been with a few other taichi guys, but frankly found it to be a waste of time as they were simply going through the motions.