View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan
Re: What is the big deal w/ testing???

Quote:
I'd like to hear thoughts on why so much emphasis seems to be placed on testing. I've been studying Aikido since the beginning of the year and proudly wear my white belt.

I'm been "invited" to test for 6th kyu next month. What is the big deal with formal testing? All my fellow students approached me after class congratulating me and what-not. It's like I've been bestowed some huge gift...

I'd personally be perfectly happy wearing a very dirty white belt for the next however many years it takes to acheive Shodan. Once acheiving Shodan, I'll tie my dogi with a black belt and confidently answer that I know very little about AIkido to any kyu ranked co-students.

So, I have 2 questions:

Can I respectfully request that I not take the test?

If I do have to take the test, can I respectfully request that I may continue to wear my white belt?

Thanks for your comments.
You're saying testing is not a big deal (agreed). Yet by requesting not to test you are in turn making it a big deal. The instructor has decided you are ready to test... so in part he has decided you have already passed the test....

Basically, from my expereince, no instructor will allow you to test unless they know you will pass it. All you're doing during the test is a demnostration of the skills you have already shown you understand.

Take the test even though it is not a big deal. Accept your new rank gracefully... thank your partners and instructors and progress that way you can make your shodan goal.

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about