View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
charron
Dojo: Jiyushinkai
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Quote:
Paul Nowicki wrote:
If you extend your arm and extend a jo even further and someone pushes on the end of that jo, they are introducing a torque. The force at the end of the lever arm does not have to be great at all to generate a high torque at the center. If you are not going to move you have to generate a massive torque in the opposite direction (assuming youre using your legs/feet). How do you do that? Furthermore, if you have your arm extended how do you prevent that arm from giving out first. I mean a system is only as strong as its weakest link. I'd think that your extended arm would be that weakest link in the scenario where someone is applying a perpindicular force to it (with a mechanical advantage at that).

I think that you are looking at the force being applied - as being in a laboratory. In a lab, yes you can measure forces in straight line. And, yes to stop a direct force you would need an equal and opposite force to cancel it out. What makes this different than strictly mechanical measured forces is that both individuals are living organisms. One person is affecting the other person at the core of their being via 'intent'/''ki'. These forces by both people involved can be and are changed the moment a connection is made, and now both people share a coming point. On a not so dramatic way, we practice, with one of our goals, to be able to take someone's center/balance on the very 1st touch. We are not always successful, but by continuing to practice - we are getting better at it.