View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Quote:
Paul Nowicki wrote:
If you extend your arm and extend a jo even further and someone pushes on the end of that jo, they are introducing a torque. The force at the end of the lever arm does not have to be great at all to generate a high torque at the center. If you are not going to move you have to generate a massive torque in the opposite direction (assuming youre using your legs/feet). How do you do that? Furthermore, if you have your arm extended how do you prevent that arm from giving out first. I mean a system is only as strong as its weakest link. I'd think that your extended arm would be that weakest link in the scenario where someone is applying a perpindicular force to it (with a mechanical advantage at that). Does anyone have any simple excersizes that I could try to experiment with this?
Hi Paul:
Yes, that's the second part of the equation, what I would call technically the "ki". Although Tohei and a lot of Japanese call the forces "ki power" or just "ki", I tend to separate the forces from the "ki" thing... it's a terminology problem.

Essentially what you're asking about is that stuff that people build up by Misogi or other approaches to "tanden breathing", "breathing to the navel" or whatever you want to call it. It's related to the fascial structures and in relation to the exact question you're asking, it tends to spread the force. If a normal person does the jo trick, the weakest link will be the shoulder joint or the wrist. Someone who has built up their "ki" will have a strong supportive "sheet" spread around the body structure that works in effect to spread that torque so that the torque gets spread, say, instead of being focused on the shoulder, it is spread over the arm, shoulder and back. However, we're getting into an area that is more complex than I want to go, so let's leave it there. But at least you get a glimpse of a structure that can spread the effects of torque and at the same time make your skin hard to puncture, able to pull loads with hooks in the skin, make someone resistant to heavy blows, etc.; all of these are normally considered characteristics of ki.

FWIW

Mike