View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Been There, Done That Attitude

Quote:
Michael O'Brien wrote:
In the overall context of his message though I read it that he was using the "been there done" that ki exercise analogy to state if that was all Dan had to offer in his class it was no big deal. I don't get the feeling personally at all that this is the way that Mark views ki training.
Hi Michael:
Well, I didn't mean to single Mark out as saying "I can already do the Ki stuff", it just reminded me of something that bothers me. There's a level of doing ki things where people can emulate certain tricks, but they never get past the point of using their arms from their shoulders. It's sort of the big barrier that few people get past... yet there is no real progress until someone gets past that point. But, as long as people begin to understand that kokyu throws, "aiki" control of kokyu powers, fa jing, throwing someone into the air without apparently movings, etc., are all down this same road, I'm happy. If you think about it, most people are still unaware of these skills, other than as rudimentary tricks, so we're making progress.
Quote:
I'm still personally really focusing right now on moving from the center all the time myself. As I'm out and about I try to focus on opening doors and things like that from my center as opposed to the old way of grab the handle and jerk. Does anyone else have any other specific ideas, exercises, etc that you would be willing to share to help in ki development, center movement, etc.
If you push something, it is your center pushing and the hand is just there as a conveyor of the push. If you pull something, it is your belt pulling and your hand is just the rope conveying the pull. If you lift your are, a teacup, or whatever, you figure how to get your direct "push from the ground" under the object and *push* it up... you never "lift" anything. When you push something down, you try to bring the weight from the crotch-area of your body to the hand or place you're trying to weight down. And I agree that you have to try to do this stuff everywhere... because it's actually a great effort to try and learn this stuff AND convince your mind "hey, this is the new way I want to move instinctively from now on".

All the Best.

Mike