View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #33
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Traditional Aikido vs Nihon Goshin

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Legally I can change my name to Grandmaster Soke 13th Dan.. legally doesn't mean jack.
It might be the deciding factor when a beginner decides who they'll study aikido with. Grandmaster Soke 13th Dan sounds a lot better than 4th dan who is struggling to put together a dojo. The important decision of who you will study with is usually made when you're mostly ignorant.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Aikido has meaning - it is a description of what we do and practice however varied should be geared towards meeting this description.

If practice isn't geared towards meeting this description it is something else, maybe good, maybe bad...but something else.
That description of your activity is subjective. It is different for each one of us.

The name Aikido originated outside of Morihei Ueshiba and was adapted by him to describe his art. The only thing you can hope for is that those who use the name Aikido, describe the origins of their art. Nihon Goshin has to my knowledge, always been up-front in its origins with Shodo Morita.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
If Aikido is just a label then why not pingpongpo ...another totally meaningless label...but probably not used elsewhere so nice and easy to register as a trademark.
Because Aikido is a market label. People are more likely to recognize aikido as a martial art, rather than pingpongpo.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
This quote doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Yes you should be able to take an aiki approach to anything....and then use it as part of your development approach to achieving aikido.

If your using an aiki approach then its aiki. No problemo..

But whats your point Ted?

D
My point is there is no fast and easy way to judge what is aikido. Maybe that's for the best. Budo has always been about the martial artist, not the martial art.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You