View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 04:55 AM   #39
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

While I find the Sensei reaction quite peculiar. Personally, I feel we are only getting a small part of the whole picture.

I would like to point that your description of the situation does not clarify if the failure of the shodan to throw you in the "pre-designed" technique was his or your fault. Being a good Uke is vary difficult, sometimes just the knowledge of the intended technique is enough for a person to change the attack in a way that invalidates the specific technique. A new Shodan might not be able to realize this yet and could get very frustrated since sometimes the differences are very subtle, and I can write this from experience at both ends of this rope.

The purpose of Uke in our dojo is to help one study and improve. This would mean correcting the technique while falling for a Yudansha acting as Uke for a beginner. Honest reaction to the acts of Tori/Shidachi is considered a correct response for a non beginner Uke - sowing him the directions of force he is applying and assisting him to correct them. Resistance based on force or changes to the situation are normally discouraged - this way is not helpful for either to learn. When practicing with advanced Yudansha, we adjust to the purpose of the practice: if we are exploring a technique, we will try our best to give an honest neutral reaction, we could pressure test a technique and then Tori/Shidachi would have to be very exact, and may find any hole left open. Being a good Uke with and advanced Tori/Shidachi should also mean doing your best to hit Tori/Shidachi in your attack given specific instruction from Sensei and a proficient (non beginner) Tori/Shidachi . Resistance based on force or changes to the situation are normally discouraged - this way is not helpful for either to learn.

Amir