View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #27
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Instructor got mad because I didn't fall

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
I was taught that during practice when you are Uke you were suppose to be practicing your breakfalls and rolls. The Sensei was the one to judge if Nage was doing the technique right.
That is totally true - for beginners.
It is awful, when I uke jumps or rolls before I have done anything - how to hell shall I learn to do the technique correctly? I hate this.

There are hundreds of reasons, why a technique might not work - and if there is a huge difference in grading, it is always the fault of the higher graded aikidoka.

Honestly - uke might stand or move in a way to make the desired technique impossible. Then nage can
1) show him what is wrong
2) tell him how to do it right
3) change the technique.
So maybe that nage did iriminage was a valid solution. I alsways thought, yudansha should have ways to change better, at least, if they have several tries - but I have not been there, so I cannot judge.

To me it sounds rather strange, that a yudansha is not tell his uke , what uke did wrong, but complains at the chief instructor. I can understand, if the chief instructor tells his student, that his behaviour was incorrect, but only after hearing both sides and not without telling him what he did wrong and why it was wrong.

Well even if I do not understand the reason, there might be a good one. A simple but stupid idea is, that your chief instructor wanted to teach you a non-combat aikido lesson. Th original poster of this thread had been attacked and he thinks it was an unfair attack. So now he has to react. He can wait for his "bad nage" somewher in the night and beat him down - might work, might not, but it is not good aikido. He might leave the dojo, where he was treated badly. He might find a better one, but at this stage it does not look like good aikido- it could be the ultimate choice in the end, however.
He might go to the chief instructor and tell him: " Sensei, I still do not understand my mistake. can you teach me how to fall correctly, if I do not feel, I should." That might not be a good reaction for an aikido master, but for an aikido student.

He might find his own solution. I will probably not be perfect, but it will be a step on his path of Aiki.

just my 1.5 cts.

Dirk