View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #28
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Traditional Aikido vs Nihon Goshin

I also have no knowledge of NGA.

My thoughts are that simply labeling something Aikido does not make it so, very much in line with the thoughts of Craig.

For me Aikido is not just a name. It is a description. The scholars and Japanese writers here can certainly add some depth, but my understanding is that its ideograms or Japanese characters represent/ translate as Heaven and Earth harmonised with Ki. (very roughly ;-)

This description is fixed.

Like walking.

Everyone accepts what walking is to us bi-peds. If someone starts to call it crawling or leaping then clearly this is incorrect.

I will add that the description is of the purest level of Aikido. With its physical and spiritual dimensions and its multi layered levels of practice there are few that actually produce Aikido that meets this lofty ambition..certainly not mine.

On the physical level is there anything unique to Aikido? Probably not.

What make Aikido different for me is this alignment with the Tao. Again some arts do similar so I'll not claim uniqueness but I think this is what differentiates an Aikido nikkyo from a Jujitsu nikkyo for instance.

NGA like many forms of jujitsu, may well utilise common techniques associated with Aikido. However unless its long term aim matches the (very rough) translation above then I personally wouldn't see it as the same as the Aikido I am familiar with.

I'm not familiar with all 'Aikido' styles of course.

So in a nutshell ....If NG Aikido aspires to meet the description of heaven and earth harmonised to achieve ki according to universal law of Tao (or anyone of the myriad variations of this theme) then it is Aikido.

If it doesn't and its followers translate it as something else then personally I wouldn't class it as Aikido.

As others have said "jujutsu" might be an acceptable label.

As I've said - I know nothing of it other than what is available here, so make absolutely no judgment of it as a martial art.

If its completely separate then is it a big deal? Those that practice it are happy with what they do, if it doesn't aspire to meet the Japanese translation but has other goals then is this a problem?

Not for me - I have enough problems trying to work on my own aikido. Harmonising heaven and earth to produce ki can be hard work!

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Respectfully

D