View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #20
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States
Re: Deepening Our Training

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
I hate it when other people state my best stuff before I do. Yes, IMHO, going deeper is a "let" not a "make". This attitude alone will deepen your training and your relationships with people in general.

In one way, its a simple change of mental frame of reference. On another level, its a "letting go" of ego, mind, goals, desires, etc.

IMHO, Aikido is only a set of tools that allow us to further refine not just our technique but who we are. Like a polishing cloth, with use the gen gets more and more refined until it dissolves or disappears. But, you have to "let" yourself keep polishing and "let" yourself refine and disappear.

Its an attitude, and then "letting go" of that. There is no goals or desire, there is just the training. And then "let go" of that.

What happens to a thought that doesn't come out our mouth or a feeling we don't act on? Without attachment, they go away. The purpose of the initial connection is to eventually "let go."

The "deeper" is already there.

"Let it be." (Beatles)
Lynn,

I've read your posts a couple of times now and while I feel I understand and agree with parts (the general flow) of it there is part I don't think I'm understanding. Perhaps I've just been at work to long and my brain is overloaded?

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
In one way, its a simple change of mental frame of reference. On another level, its a "letting go" of ego, mind, goals, desires, etc.
Are you talking about only training here or life in general? If we "let go" of our goal, desires, etc in life at that point don't we merely exist? Goals, desires, etc in life are what give us purpose and direction are they not?

Maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly tonight? I would love to hear your take on this further, and others as well. I know I have a lot to let go of for my training to evolve to the level that I desire.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.