View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #68
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club
Re: Am i missing something??

David,

I did acknowledge that Paige called your writing "robotic," but that came after several posts in which you were quite dismissive of her question. She reciprocated by not being receptive to your perspective on her situation. She was trying to understand her lack of interest, and looking for other people who had been through the same experience. It is an emotional, feeling-based question. When you say that feelings and emotions are irrelevant to deeper training, you are essentially denying the validity of her question. I found her initial question more interesting than your insistence on unflagging commitment.

So, David, I now have a few questions for you. Have you ever suspended your aikido training for a month or more? What was that like? How did it affect your training afterwards?

I would also like to repeat, and clarify, the question I asked earlier (which you did not answer): What, specifically, constitutes committed training? How many hours per week do you train, currently? If you have ever trained at a lesser commitment level, how was that different?

I answered my first set of questions above, in my first post. I'll answer the second set here. I myself am trying to train 5-6 days a week at the moment (1-2 hours per day), but because we only have a small group, some days I can't find anyone to meet me at the dojo. I find that 3-4 days a week of training is best for me, to develop physical skills, but that daily training helps me work more on the mental (and possibly spiritual) dimensions of the art. I also try to make it to seminars as much as possible, and train at other dojo when I can, but I can't always afford to do that (financially) as much as I would like.

--Amelia