View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #687
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
..... What I do is conceptualize a particular scenario, then figure out a strategy for defeating that scenario, it may be something I learned in class, something I heard on the internet, or something I saw in a book.....then I go into the dojo and work on it with several people to see if it will work. I have one guy in particular that is a pain in the butt. If it works on him, then it will pretty much work on anyone. This same guy is not very cooperative and has a real hard time with aikido concepts! (thats another issue and why he doesn't improve in other areas of his training!)

All that said, scenario based training is good to do, however, it really does not fit well into many traditional aikido dojos from my experiences and can really defeat the dynamic you are trying to create in an aikido dojo to teach people aikido principles. That is why you probably don't see much of the grappling going on. it would be disruptive and not serve much function...in fact it would probably be counterproductive to a degree in many situations.
Probably, but as I believe I tried to say in the Kali v. Aikido thread, that doesn't bother me! Yes, my Aikido dojo does it "straight," but my purpose in going is to find out what they teach, not what I learn elsewhere. Also, I confess I just plain like doing Aikido as is; it feels good inside. If I could change anything, I wouldn't. I know some don't agree with that, but that' how I feel.

Having said that, scenario based training can be a pain if youo think about it. For example, let's say you are working on the response to a jab-cross. First, IMHO, you have to correctly understand the techniques involved. So either you have to know the boxing/kickboxing system or someone you train with has to. If you work from an incorrect understanding or misconception about the technique, whatever flows from that will, by definition, not work, and therefore be doomed to failure. This was driven home to me when I read a post that said kaiten nage/osae wouldn't work against a shoot. That would have been my first guess, too; if it doesn't work, then maybe there's an assumption that's flawed.

Second, to be in keeping with the structure of Aikido, you can't just have one counter to the technique but every counter! You name it -- irimi nage, shiho nage, kote gaeshi, ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo --- the whole ball of wax. That's the way it's set up, isn't? Some may work easier than others; shiho-nage against a doble-lef takedown, anybody? ('Course, now that I think about it, I wonder if you couldn't drop to one knee and do it sort of as a hanmi hantachi, putting yourself at or below the shooter's level .... oh, no .... ) But I think to properly study that, that's what you have to do. At least I think so.

This strikes me as a heck of a lot of work, and I am just too lazy to even think about it. If someone else wants to do all that, great! Me, I'll just keep dancing with the elves.

Quote:

.... I find aikido to be a very, very good practice in refining many of my martial skills. I wish I had much more time to spend on it than I do right now! However, based on what my goals are, aikido does not fill all my needs. again, it has nothing to do with if it works in a fight or not!
Congratulations on being organized! Me, I just sort of ended up here, doing what I want to do and training with whom I want to train with. Organized? Who, me? Never stand up in court. One look at my house will prove that!

Happy training!