View Single Post
Old 11-30-2001, 07:57 PM   #16
Speireag
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Vermont
Quote:
Originally posted by [Censored]
If you make a comment on your partner's technique, they have the choice to consider or ignore that comment. If you keep your mouth shut, you've given them no choice.
Yes and no. If I'm trying to apply myself fully to the training, I don't necessarily want to spend the energy evaluating my partner's comments. My partner is generally welcome to comment afterward, but while we are training, I would rather train, and concentrate on that.

Make no mistake; I sometimes want verbal feedback. I certainly have benefitted from it. And I know how to ask for it when I want it.

Since I can ask for verbal feedback if I want it, by *not* commenting, my partner frees me to work on the non-verbal level. I have found such practice to be much more worthwhile in the long run. Verbal instruction can leave you thinking that you understand something better than you do. You get a better assessment from tactile feedback.

Verbal instruction is certainly very useful but in my experience it has its place: from the sensei, or informally before or after class. I encourage you to explore the option of freeing yourself from verbal commentary, to see what you might discover.

Quote:
People who want to learn on their own, generally do not take a class.
Just because I'm not talking doesn't mean I'm not learning, and it certainly doesn't mean that I'm learning alone. I'm just able to spend my attention more fully on what we are doing, as opposed to what someone is saying.

-Speireag.

Speireag Alden