View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Using your centre during training

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
The problem comes when he tries to use his hands to push or pull or raise or lower or whatever. Ideally what he wants is somehow to sort of make his center power be in his hands. So the real trick is connecting the center power to the hands/arms as purely as possible. If he resorts to his normal instincts, he'll unconsciously stick his shoulder power in there, thus diluting or robbing his hand/arm movements of the pure power from the center. It takes a lot of practice and attention to "keep your center in your hands" without resorting to the shoulders and it takes quite a while before you're successful at it. A slow fune kogi undo, trying to keep your center in your hands is a good start, IMO.
This is so true. The interesting thing is, once you can do this it seems really easy! I was pretty well co-ordinated before started aikido and it took me a long time to 'really' understand and use this type of movement. Now it seems natural I keep wondering why we have to work at it for so long? Shame we weren't born with the ability, it would save so much time.

regards
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.